Media Guidelines for Eisenhower Medical Center
FOR THE PROTECTION OF OUR PATIENTS AND IN COMPLIANCE WITH HIPAA (HEALTH INSURANCE PRIVACY AND PORTABILITY ACT)
For assistance with Eisenhower Medical Center stories:
Call Eisenhower Medical Center's Marketing and Public Relations Department:
During Business Hours:
Eisenhower Medical Center Public Relations adheres to HIPAA guidelines in responding to requests for patient information. A link is provided below for more detailed information. Please note the following:
- Under HIPAA, information about the condition and location of a patient may be released only if the inquiry specifically includes the patient's name.
- Every patient has the right to request that information not be released, including confirmation of his or her presence in the facility.
- These conditions apply to all patients, including public figures and celebrities, and they apply at all times, including during disaster situations.
- In the case of patients are who are minors, parental/guardian authority is applied as appropriate, based on state law.If a patient is incapacitated and does not have a designated representative to authorize the release of patient information to the media, the hospital may determine whether any information will be disclosed.
Patient conditions listed below are approved by the American Hospital Association (AHA):
- GOOD: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits; Patient is conscious and comfortable; indicators are excellent.
- FAIR: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits; Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable; indicators are favorable.
- SERIOUS: Vital signs may be unstable or not within normal limits; Patient is acutely ill; indicators are questionable.
- CRITICAL: Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits; Patient may be conscious; indicators are unfavorable.
- STABLE: NOT a condition. May be used as a modifier to clarify a condition (i.e., patient is in critical, but stable condition.)
For detailed information about the AHA's guidelines for releasing information about patients, please click on the link below: