News from Eisenhower Medical Center
National Doctors’ Day, March 30
On March 30, 1958, the United States House of Representatives adopted a resolution commemorating Doctors’ Day, and in 1990, legislation was introduced establishing a National Doctors’ Day. President George Bush signed the resolution on October 30, 1990:
Whereas society owes a debt of gratitude to physicians for. . . enlarging the reservoir of scientific knowledge. . . and expanding the ability of health professionals to use the knowledge and tools effectively in the never- ending fight against disease, and Whereas society owes a debt of gratitude to physicians for the sympathy and compassion of physicians…in ministering to the sick and in alleviating human suffering. . .
Although the first National Doctors’ Day was celebrated in 1991, the first Doctors’ Day observance was held on March 30,1933, by the Barrow County Auxiliary in Winder, Georgia. The idea of setting aside a day to honor physicians was conceived in recognition of the anniversary of the first administration of anesthesia by Dr. Crawford W. Long in Barrow County, Georgia, in 1842.
Eisenhower Medical Center acknowledges with deep gratitude the personal and professional contributions physicians make every day.