Additional Treatment Options
There are other treatment options which you may discuss with your physician. These options include the following:
- High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy concentrates radiation in a small area from a radioactive source temporarily placed inside the body, and is one of the most precise forms of radiation therapy available.
- External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBT) uses state-of-the-art linear accelerators to deliver radiation to a precise location within the body. A series of three-dimensional radiation beams are tailored to the size, shape and location of the tumor or cancer cells to stop their growth and reproduction while sparing the surrounding healthy tissue.
- Image Guided Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), one of most significant innovations in cancer treatment in the past three decades, treats tumors that were previously considered untreatable due to their size or location with an extremely precise variable beam intensity.
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) is radiation treatment guided by daily imaging and using a tracking system to pinpoint tumor sites and adjust patient positioning. This allows for precise delivery of radiation to the tumor site and minimizing the amount of surrounding healthy tissue exposed to radiation during the treatment. one of the challenges of radiation delivery is that the tumor can move based on the patient's day to day position on the treatment table. IGRT allows for adjusting the patient position if the tumor is out of the targer area.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery is a non-surgical, non-invasive method of delivering a precise, robotically-guided dose of intense radiation to a tumor. The beams of radiation, with highly sophisticated computer software, reshape continuously, matching the size and shape of the tumor, allowing a full treatment course in as few as five days.
- Nerve-sparing Prostatectomy is a modified form of radical prostatectomy. When prostate nerves are cancer-free, only the prostate gland is removed and the nerves are preserved.